Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dear Internet,

I think you have a problem. No, I know you have a problem and that problem is the definition of the word vintage.

The term vintage seems to have been derailed and now made to mean "from a thrift store". Sadly Internet, you are mistaken. Everything in a thrift store is NOT vintage. Most of it is just used or from the 80s. It's a hard and sad fact but true.

Now I admit, I am allowed to be wrong, but last I checked the 80s were not vintage. They were just a bad trip to shoulder pad land that really does not need to be repeated. I feel that 30 years is not long enough to deem something vintage. At least give it 50 years before slapping on the term.

The only time I see your point in the use of the word is when I go to dictionary[dot]com and look up the definition. Mostly all I got was talk of wine but here are the three definitions for Vintage when being used as an adjective:

  1. representing the high quality of a past time: vintage cars;vintage movies.
  2. old-fashioned or obsolete: vintage jokes.
  3. being the best of its kind: They praised the play as vintage O'Neill.

This still doesn't mean everything you find at the thrift store is vintage. Take a minute to understand what  you're buying and please label it accordingly. Or go to an estate sale; just about everything there is vintage.

Sincerely and with love,
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment