Monday, January 17, 2011

Something to wrap up in

So I have been in Florida for 10 days now and right before I left I did a quick project. I was going through my bins of fabric while cleaning up and came across a bunch of t-shirts I love but haven't worn in years or will never wear. I didn't want to give them to Good Will so I decided to give them new life in the form of a quilt.

I cute them up into squares, all the same height but I was kinda lax about the width. I was lucky that they all fit together in a way that kept each role the same width.

The t-shirts read to be sewn together
I lay all the shirts on my floor so I could figure out what I wanted where. Then I stitched them all together one row at a time.

The t-shirts after they have been sew together
I decided I wanted a blanket that would work in all seasons so I went with a thinner fleece for the backing. I attached it, turned it right side out and then top stitched it.

The finished blanket with fleece backing and top stitching

Finished blanket folded up
I brought my new blanket down to Florida with me and it has been amazing to snuggle up with. It makes me want to save up some more shirts and make another one.

If you have a bunch of t-shirts you don't wear but don't want to get ride of, this is a great way to keep them but in a much more helpful way then letting them just keep taking up closet space.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This is a GREAT idea, equally I have seen old t-shirts been made into curtains or simply hung as they are on curtain poles through the sleeves! I think it looks better than it sounds!

    ReplyDelete